How to Transfer Windows 10 License to a New Computer:
First check, Is Your Windows 10 License Transferrable? You can only transfer a Windows 10 license if you have a Retail key– either purchased from a store or online portal (a digital copy). You can check the type of product key by following these steps. Press Windows and R keys at once and type “cmd”. Here, type slmgr -dli and hit enter. A dialog box will appear with the description of the product key. If it shows retail then you are good to go. However, if it shows OEM then sadly, you can’t transfer the license to another computer.
1. Transfer Windows 10 License Key
1. First and foremost, open the start menu and search for “cmd”. Now, click on “Run as administrator” in the sub-section.
2. After that, type the following command and hit enter to de-register the product key from your old computer.
3. Now, execute another command to remove the product key from Windows Registry.
Re-activate Windows 10 License on New Machine
1. You have successfully removed the Windows 10 license from your old computer. Now, move to your new computer and open Command Prompt in a similar fashion as described in the above section.
2. Replace “xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx” with your actual product key and execute the below command. Voila, you have successfully transferred your Windows 10 license to a new system.
slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx 3. Alternatively, you can follow this path to activate the new computer: Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & security -> Activation -> Change the product key. Here, enter the license key and you are done.